; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: I really shouldn't but I just can stay away

Friday, February 5, 2010

I really shouldn't but I just can stay away

I really shouldn’t be online blogging when there is so much house to unpack and put away but the truth is I have missed blogging this week.  I’ve actually felt at a loss as to what to do with my hands and my time, when I wasn’t unpacking or fetching for the children that is.

We still don’t have the wireless working properly so I have to resort to piggy backing on some poor unsuspecting slub for now.  Of course the thought of being on an unsecured wireless network scares the crap out of me so I’m composing in Word and cut and pasting my post. 

The kids seem to be adjusting well to the changes.  My fears seem to have been unfounded.  Of course this is just the first week here.  The honeymoon phase if you will.  All in all though E seems to be enjoying school and is excited about participating in field trips, family movie nights and Valentine’s day.  J was a little worried about sleeping in her own room the first night.  Fears expressed in “if O get’s lonely I will just snuggle him okay mommy?”  She had expressed this concern for O so many times that it made me wonder if it was perhaps her that was worried about sleeping on her own.  Sure enough when I asked her that was the case. So the first night she was a little worried and after assuring her that she could see our bedroom door and leaving her door open and the hall light on that she was able to settle down.  It still took a couple of trips upstairs to reassure her that we can hear her etc before she would actually fall asleep though.  Second night, not a concern at all for her.    

J keeps asking when she is going to school.  I haven’t called yet for availability in preschools yet for two reasons:  1) we’re busy unpacking right now and 2) I just don’t know if we can afford to pay for her to go now.  My store is bringing in nothing right now and we just spent so much money it’s not even funny.  Every time I turn around it’s a trip to the grocery store for food or toiletries or other necessities. 

Funny enough the one who seems to be having the most difficulty with this move…. is me. 

I suspect that the overwhelming task of unpacking and sorting has gotten me down.  By 4:00 p.m. every night I’m bummed and grumpy and am yelling at the kids.  Of course, normally that is the most stressful part of the day anyways.  But K is usually home between 4 and 4:30 and I’m not rushing off to work so there is no pressure to have dinner cooked by 4:10.  Maybe that’s the problem.  I’ve lost sort of my focus on the day.  I think I’ve phoned my mom 4 out of 5 days when I usually only talk to her once a week.  I’m used to having my time sucked up by kids AND work and now… it’s just kids till the weekend. 

Add that to the fact that I don’t know where to put half of the stuff and presently 75% of my towels and linens are sitting on the floor  I am worried may have fleas.  Yes fleas.  They had a dog, it’s a good possibility.  K’s not home to unpack or even help me to decide what to do with some of this stuff. 

Men are funny.  They are pretty good at moving stuff and unpacking and setting up electronics (except my wireless internet) but they suck at organizing and putting shit away.  I should retract that, my husband CAN be organized he just chooses not to.  He used to tell me that he’s a compulsive organizer and I had to laugh at him.  Um compulsive people do things… compulsively….not just when they have the “time” to clean and organize.

So it would seem the bulk of the putting away and organizing the entire house falls on my shoulders.  I remind myself to be grateful that my hubby carries all the heavy stuff and will be the one raking the leaves and on poop detail this weekend. (the kids cannot so much as even step a foot in the backyard until the poop is gone.  It’s positively slick with wet leaves and wet poop. *Shudder*  He also is the one to flatten boxes and take them to the recycle depot.  I know I have it good as far as Husbands goes but still sometimes it’s hard not to complain once in a while. 

Some positive news is that we have a couple interested in buying my video store.  They have written us to tell us they wish to proceed just have not given us a formal offer in writing.  So we shall have to see if that is what they are going to do.  I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much because there are a lot of hoops to go through yet.  Still, it’s a good sign.  They don’t seem like they are even going to quibble about the price.  So… cross your fingers and say a little prayer for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Darling, if you didn't complain about your husband once in a while, I would worry. ;-)

    Unpacking is a pain because you're organizing as you go. Once you get the stuff you NEED organized and put away, you're just left with stuff. Ugh. I feel you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from SITS - I understand your pain... and it's totally ok to complain about your husband :) We take longer to unpack than men because we want to put things in the right place... not the first place, but it will all get done!

    As for something for your daughter, maybe call the local library and see when story time is, at least until you are better able to organize preschools :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.