; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: The Daily Struggle

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Daily Struggle


Are you a morning person:?  I like to think that I am not entirely opposed to the getting up of a morning.  I am opposed to getting up supremely early say like 9:00 a.m.  HAHA I wish.  Anything before 7:00 a.m. is to early.  With the advent of children I have come to the acceptance that sleeping in until 7 is a blessing and to not mourn those sleep in weekends (okay, mourn it less).

One habit, mental and physical, I cannot break is that morning cup of tea, bite of breakfast and a novel.  Some days, I have to confess that I actually will stall eating breakfast just so I can avoid hubby across the table. You see not only is it rude to read while someone else is at the table (my mother brought me up right) but even if decided to be rude, he continuously talks to me.

I can't help it I am a creature of habit.  When I used to work outside the home, I'd get up everyday and do the same morning routine.  When I first got married, hubs had a job that started later in the day so he slept in, I was able to continue my morning routine unchallenged until the kidlets started to arrive.

Now, however, I am finding it increasingly difficult to get that morning me time.  We get up, hubs jumps in the shower, while I proceed downstairs to make E's lunch and everyone else's breakfast.  Even if the little rugrats are distracted by play or the t.v., I know that I have to make their breakfast first or I won't have a moment's of peace eating mine.  Plus that's the good mom thing to do.   Isn't it supposed to be instinctive to make sure the young are fed?

So feeding them first usually meant they'd go off and play, get dressed, whatever and I'd have those 15 or 20 minutes free to myself.  Now it seems like the minute they are done, it's a free for all.  Mom can I do this, mom, I wan't to do crafts, mom, help me zip up my coat, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom.  Every single question results in me having to get up and do something for them.  Whether it's popping in a show to fetching them a tissue to refereeing the fights.

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated and annoyed with them at this time of the day.  You know how some people don't feel right until they've had like two cups of coffee by the time they can even fully open their eyes etc.  I never thought I was one of those.  I mean I like my tea but I consider to be more of a comforting habit than a necessity.  I think what I am addicted to; however, is quiet time and books.  I need it, I can barely get through a day without a quick read of something.  When I have nothing else, I am reduced to *gasp* reading the paper or even trolling online for free books.  I'm like a junkie needing a fix.

Chock one more reason up to why, if you're able, to have your kids young.  Not only do you have more energy but you have had less time to become ingrained into habits.  Habits which are hard to break.

I know I could get up earlier and have a quiet time before they get up but that's so not going to happen.  I like my sleep and we often don't get to bed early enough.  No like everything else a mom does, I'm going to have to suck it up and figure out how not to let it destroy my peace.  Well, you know that level of peace I'd actually like to achieve... one day.

*photo courtesy of www.illustratedstockyard.com

1 comment:

  1. First off, stupid Blogger wouldn't let me comment the other day. But I find it cute that you have a morning habit like that. I totally understand how you would want to keep it because it belongs to you and it makes you have a great day. You need a breakfast/reading nook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.