; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Recipe Tuesday - A Sandwich Twist

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Recipe Tuesday - A Sandwich Twist

I don't know about you but I have combed the internet, parenting and good housekeeping magazines for kid friendly lunch tips and ideas. While I have learned a few interesting tips, I've mostly discovered that my children will not eat 98% of those kinds of foods.

Hummus - No Way
cold pasta salad - no way
tortilla roll ups - no way

I literally flip through the cookbook saying they don't like this, they don't like that, they won't eat this, they won't eat that. So when I find things that my kids actually will eat, like the mini meatballs or mini muffins I like to share my ideas or successes.

Today's idea is pretty simple. I was thinking of how my kids aren't really that crazy about tortillas when it occurred to me that if I took the crusts of the bread, flattened it out with the palm of my hand I could roll it up and cut it, just like rolled up tortillas.

So I did just that --->
<---- Then I spread a thin layer of peanut butter and jam and rolled them up.
And there you have it Sandwich Roll Ups!
Then I added some fresh fruit, ham and cucumbers, things I usually have hanging out in the refrigerator and voila. Lunch is served.

I know it looks amazingly simple but the bites of sandwich were so small, that O had no problem popping them into his mouth and actually ate a whole sandwich. Normally all he'd do was lick off the jam and leave the bread. He cleaned his plate. E love it so much she asked for 2nds and 3rds. J liked it just fine and ate her sandwich up in record time and ate what E left behind because she was too full. So I'd definitely consider that a success.
The next day I even added mashed banana to it and they loved that as well. So really you can add whatever you like to the sandwich, plus if you get the kids involved they will have lots of fun squashing bread. *L* Other things I add to this sort of lunch are, grapes, sausage, yogurt, apple sauce etc.
And that's my amazingly simple Tuesday Recipe Tip!

4 comments:

  1. I'm following...love the sandwich roll ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. My daughter preferred the lunches at school so I rarely had to pack a lunch. Now she's grown up and packs me a lunch. LOL Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny that it's the simplest things that they end of loving?? I could make something gourmet for them and they hate it but something as simple as PB&J and they love it. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.