; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Being self employoed

Monday, June 1, 2009

Being self employoed

Being self-employed definitely has it's draw backs.  Oh sure, you are your own boss, there's no one to complain if you slough off work or if you're late.  No one to nag you about putting in too much overtime, taking too much sick time etc.  

Here is my list of drawbacks to being self-employed
  • you don't get paid for the extra 15 minutes it takes you to close up but your employee does
  • when someone calls in sick, it's you that has to replace them or you have to close
  • when you want to take a vacation you have to find someone reliable, responsible and trustworthy to fill in for you and you have to do twice as much work preparing for being away
  • when someone doesn't pay their bill, you still have to pay your overhead.  No one is cutting you any breaks because of a deadbeat debtor
  • you have to worrk about payroll and tax remittances and ensure that they are paid in time or you'll get nasty letters from the governmeny
  • when you're sick, you still have to go in because chances are no is available to replace you
  • the chances are pretty high that whenever a family event like a BBQ or dinner is planned, you will get a call saying your employee is sick or injured and can't work, thus leaving you to cut your dinner short
  • you have to work every statutory holiday because you already have to pay them a day's pay whether they work or not, you don't want to have to pay them another day's pay at a time and a half, cause you just can't afford it. 
  • people think you are a bank or that because you are self-employed and own your own business you must rolling in it.   
At least when you are working for someone else you get a regular pay cheque at the standard rate.  Unless, of course you work for someone like my last boss who quite frequently either bounced my cheque or was unable to pay me on time.  I once went 7 weeks without being paid.  Fortunately, I had just moved back in with my folks so I was able to manage.  In the end he was paying me by money order.  *L*   Would you believe I worked for him almost 10 years?   Yup, a poor lawyer.  Who would have figured it. *L*

I am a little grumpy today because K and I basically had to work the entire weekend because of staffing problems at both of our stores.  At least we save money on wages but it's a drag when the weather was so nice and I didn't get to play with the kids outside yesterday.   It seems to always do this every summer.  One of K's employees just got told she can't work anymore (she's expecting in August) so we're going to be short handed.  It wouldn't be a problem if our house was sold and I wasn't working and we lived by his store.  

Moan, groan, snivel, whine and complain.  I know.  I'm being a whiner.  I'm just tired cause first J was up sick in the night and then O was up and then they all got up at 6:00 a.m.  I think I need a nap. 

I hope your day goes better than mine!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry. You need some you or me time. I hope the house sells fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought being self-employed was the life! *sigh* It sounds harder than going into the office!

    I hope you get a break sometime. Take a nap, if you can! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know, I don't think you are a whiner. You are helping out everyday people by having a business. It takes a strong person to own their own business. America was built by people like you. I have a lot of respect for people who own businesses. Vent, cry, do what you need to do so you can keep yourself strong for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.