; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Summer Has Finally Arrived - but Do I want it?

Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Has Finally Arrived - but Do I want it?

Well I can officially say that summer has finally arrived.  For the past two days it's been almost unbearably warm.  It's funny how we complain about the weather and how we want nice weather then we finally get it and after only two days we start complaining about it.  I say warm weather is all fine and dandy but when it messes when my comfort... well let's just say I'm not a happy camper.

It's fine when it's warm during the day... there are lots of ways to stay cool, hang out in the pool, sit in the shade, eat freezies, do as little as possible.  At night time, however, there is little you can do but toss and turn in your now sweaty sheets.  Because our bedrooms are all on the second floor, the kids can't even have their windows open more than a crack.  There's the whole safety, not falling out the window issue, and trust me with O it is a real  possibility.  Two have ceiling fans in their room so that helps.  Only J's doesn't actually seem to create a breeze.  How could a fan not create a breeze?  Bizarre.  So after one restless night we went out and bought a couple of stand up fans. 

These worked great in our room, we managed to move fans into the other two bedrooms that needed it and I was able to sleep somewhat comfortably.  That is until O decided it was time to get up at 5:00 a.m. and despite being repeatedly told to go back to bed, he decided to stay up and wake up the girls.  So E came into my room at 6, 6:30, 7, and 7:30 asking me if it was morning time yet.  Hello the sun is up.. obviously it's morning it's just too damn early!  As soon as I turned the fan off I was blasted by heat.  Obviously it had not cooled off overnight.

Add to this that I have a headache so bad that just moving my head causes it to flare and you can imagine the scene was not a good one.  By 7:30 I was in tears and angry. I dragged my butt out of bed, slammed around the kitchen trying to make the kids their breakfast.  You know it's bad when you have to try and refocus your eyes so you can tell whether the toast you're giving to the kid has just jam on it or if it's the one that has both jam and peanut butter on it because heaven forbid you give the peanut butter hater one teeny smidge of pb on his toast. 

So many drugs later, half a cup of tea I am somewhat better but let's now add exhaustion to a dull headache and I just know it's going to be a great day.  sigh.   Plus I've just had to give the lecture to my oldest that she better behave and try to get along with her siblings (can we say bossy betty) or I'm not wasting my time sitting outside supervising them in the pool when I could be having a rest inside. 

yeah... it's gonna be a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    I've been flat out cranky b/c of the heat. I don't like the cold, but I want a happy medium!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.