; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Some times my kids amaze me.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some times my kids amaze me.


We had a pretty much average day, get up take E to school, J to preschool, come home, run around cleaning house till it's time to pick J and E up, eat lunch and clean some more etc.. you get the picture. Pretty tame day.

Hubby comes home around 4:15. The kids are usually pretty excited to see him and so am I for that matter. At this point in the day I am trying to finish up making supper and get the food on the table because I have to be at work by 5:00 p.m.

K was not in the greatest mood when he got home today because he had a crappy day. So it didn't take long before his patience wore thin, then my patience wore thin because he was losing his patience and on and on and on... You could just see things spiraling out of control and if we didn't get a hold on it things were just going to get worse. Dinner time is always a tough time of the day but it gets even tougher when K and I are trying to have a quick conversation about the day and the kids are constantly interrupting. It doesn't help that we're transitioning him coming home and me going to work.

To top it off, when I took the stuffed turkey roast out of the oven, it wasn't cooked all the way through. You can get away with that with roast beef but not poultry. Great. I had to stick the darn thing back into the oven to keep on cooking while we ate potatoes and vegetables, cause like I said I have to be at work by 5:00.

So I eat my vegetarian meal and jump up to get ready for work. I can hear K in the background being exasperated with O because he's in this stage of putting food in his mouth, chewing it and then spitting it out, usually into his hand. Well today, he decided to chuck the food he has spewed into his hand around the table so K's getting pretty annoyed.

I come out, get ready to go when I call the girls to come and kiss me bye. I just give O a kiss when I look up to see that my five year old, E has just put all her laundry that was folded up in the laundry basket away and she was standing there trying to sort out the mix matched socks. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

For some strange reason, this brought tears to my eyes. My baby is growing up. I gave her a big high five and a hug and told her how proud I am of her. Part of me wanted to go check and make sure she put it all in the right drawers but then really who cares. It was put away and she did it on her own initiative. When I went to say goodbye to K, he too had tears in his eyes. Her act of thoughtfulness was enough to break him out of his mood and opened our lines of communication up again.

Kids really do amaze me.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet, beautiful kids you have... Sweet, wonderful parent you are... Like parents, like children :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw! How sweet is your daughter? I can't even get my HUSBAND to put away his own laundry! Good job, Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so sweet! I bet that made your day. It's the little things that make us realize how quickly they grow before our very own eyes. And it also makes you realize not to sweat the small stuff, even though it is so hard not to!

    Hope your day got better after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help it...

    "Part of me wanted to go check and make sure she put it all in the right drawers but then really who cares."

    ...made me laugh.

    So glad I'm not the only one out there like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.