; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Halloween 2009

Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009

It's amazing how each Halloween gets easier. Of course the first Halloween's were pretty easy. We dressed E up and took her to a half dozen houses, had all the old folks ooh and aww over her cuteness then home to happily divide up the candy between K and me. ;) Who says we don't live through our children. *L*

Last year was a bit of a trial though. I actually had to push and prod my oldest to continue on to each house. She had focused on one house in particular that she wanted to go to... on the other side of the street. Now in my grown up orientated and organized mind I wanted to go down one side of the road and back up the other. By the time we got to that house we were both frustrated and it turned out the people who dropped the big spider had moved. Arg. I realized that it would have been better to be flexible saving us all frustration.

This year; however, notwithstanding the fact that J told me that I would surely have to say trick or treat for her because she was too shy to say it, by the third house she was gayly running ahead with her big sister to each house and answering promptly inquiries about her costume. Amazing. Is this the same child that has to Dora the size of her to preschool just so she won't cry when I leave?

Stamina my children do not have, however. By the end of one block and half way up the other side of the street they pooped out. Not cause they are lazy, inactive kids but because they aren't night time kids. They play so hard by the supper time they are barely making it to bed time. We skipped the last half of the houses and simply went home. They barely made it out to my mom's property for the fireworks. I think they did sleep in the van on the way there but thankfully they got their second wind and managed to stay awake this year for the fireworks.

Nothing makes a halloween evening than heading out to my parent's property for a bonfire. There is just something about roasting hot dogs over the fire, drinking hot cocoa and eating chili that is so much fun. My brother usually invites his friends over and there are always a bunch of kids ready and willing to play together in the dark. This year they built up leaf piles and jumped in them. How they could see I am amazed, we grownups stuck closer to the fire. Then my brother started setting off the fireworks and we all oohed and ahed. It was so much. We all pitch in for the fireworks so we end up with some really good stuff. The last firework of the evening had so many starbursts, flares and swirly sparks that it outbeat anything the City ever put on for Canada Day. It was great.

This year we have to be a bit more wiley in stealing their candy. For even O has developed a sincere attachment to his treats. He refused to allow us to empty his bucket into a waiting bag just for him because he insisted on seeing his candy. Fortunately they hate coffee crisps and I don't much like any of the other suckers and sticky sour treats so they are pretty safe from me. Daddy on the other hand....

Here are a few photos from our Halloween. I hope you guys had a fun time!

O would absolutely not put his hands inside the pumpkin.

J on the other hand dug in with gusto.



My scared construction worker, E's princess pumpkin complete with earrings and J's scary pumpkin complete with green boogie. J was very adamant about that green booger.

My Tiger

My Little Puppy

My Tinkerbell

It's hard to hear see in this photo but there's a sign there that says Halloween at the North Pole. The people were dressed up in snazzy christmas outfits. Not the typical chubby Santa though. Really well done.


A spooky walk



Happy Halloween!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you all had fun...love the pics of the kids in their costumes!

    The pumpkins are awesome!! I never even thought to put a hat on any of ours! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds and looks like so much fun! I'm glad you had a great time.
    And do your kids naturally like pumpkin guts? Because mine didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! You had one heck of a Halloween!! Awesome pumpkins, awesome costumes and that scary walk is COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds like tons of fun!! =)

    Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great time! My wife and I are expecting our first child in Feb 2010 so we spent halloween sitting out on the porch and watching the neighborhood kids and wondering how our family halloweens will be. It was great fun.

    Thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so spooky on the sidewalks of the one house!

    The kids looked so great in their costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pumpkins are awesome. I still have never carved my own pumpkin or roasted the seeds. Next year!

    Thanks so much for sharing in my SITS day last week!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.