; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Wow, he needs sleep too!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Wow, he needs sleep too!


You know how grumpy I get when I don't get enough sleep? Well I realized that my husband needs his sleep too.

I know it should be obvious right? But I get so caught up with what's going on with me I don't necessarily stop and think what may be affecting him. After all, I am the one that gets up in the night. He may wake up but he doesn't usually get up unless I am so absolutely passed out from exhaustion that I don't hear the kids. His reasoning is that when he's awake, he's awake and can't get back to sleep.

So imagine my frustration when I am lying in bed in at 7:00 a.m. and listening to K swear at the kids. Not literally at them but around them, swearing while he's changing a poopy bum, swearing because the dishwasher rack is stuck from a cup. I'm thinking I should be the one to be annoyed, I had to get up with O in the middle of the night and I'm still tired. But I can't sleep cause it's driving me crazy that he's been frustrated and annoyed with the kids over EVERYTHING. Which I get annoyed over little things too so it's hard to point the finger and I have these little arguments with myself making it impossible to ignore what's going on in the living room.

So I end up getting up and trying to take some of the work off him so he can try and get his groove back. Only it doesn't work. We all end up snapping and griping at each other for most of the day then I get resentful. Then what galls me even more is it's my fault because man like he can't remember what started it all, he just knows that at the moment his wife is being a b@#$*. And when it gets like that it takes all our superhuman strength to suck up some maturity and GET OVER IT. arrrrgh

But this morning the kids let us sleep in till almost 8:30. My husband gets up to get the kids their morning drinks, turn on their show. O is sopping wet, he coaxes him to come to him so he can change him etc.. No impatient attitude no swearing. I literally sat up in bed and stared at my husband. There he was, the patient, understanding man I've loved this ten years.

That's when the realization hit me. He needs his sleep too!

We've been burning the midnight oil too late this past week and that seriously needs to stop if we are going to be the best parents we can be for these children of ours. Is it really worth staying up late (we really enjoy our kid free time) if we make the rest of the time miserable for all around us because we are grumpy? Not really. It's a matter of putting it all in perspective.

BTW have you noticed that the kids only let you sleep in on days you have to work? Thus making you late for said work? Cause with children after all who needs alarm clocks?


3 comments:

  1. I think kids are programmed that way... the only time they want to sleep in is when they can't.

    Here's to many happy zzzzzz's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing worse than sleep deprivation! I was a monster today becaue of it!!

    Hope you guys get to catch up on that sleep soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep. What a novel concept. I guess we always forget how important it is.;

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.