; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Bringing Nature to Our Back Yard

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bringing Nature to Our Back Yard

For the first time we set up a hummingbird feeder off our deck. We were very surprised when we saw our first hummingbird arrive not a day later. These are such amazing creatures. My children were quickly excited and I am afraid their excitement startled the hummingbirds and so they flew away

We have since moved the feeder a little farther away from the house in a shady spot in the hopes that the humming birds will feel safer. Now when the children see the hummingbirds come to feed they stop their play and just watch. They are fascinated by these birds and ask us probably about 100 questions to which we don’t know the answers. Thank goodness for the Internet.

For instance: Did you know that hummingbirds are migratory? You’re saying, well, they are birds; of course they are migratory. Okay, so I haven't really thought about it before because not only are they migratory but they winter in Mexico. That may be nothing to those of you who live from the Midwest to the East coast but I live on the most western part of British Columbia and those little birds fly all the way to Mexico for the winter. Apparently they even fly from as far as Alaska. Those teeny little birds have the stamina to go that far. I also learned that the hummingbirds in our area are called the "Black Chinned Hummingbird".

The other amazing thing is that all you have to do to attract humming birds is to hang a feeder and put food in it. I'd really recommend it. The food isn't expensive, just a little sugar and some water. Hummingbird feeders come in all shapes and sizes and all prices.

It’s the simplest thing in the world to do to bring a little nature in your back yard.

For more information check out the Bird-Library

hummingbird feeders

4 comments:

  1. so nice to see nature on your bck yard :) I dont have any so really I can't hang any to see birds but there are some birds near us that hang out on our balcony railing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been considering one since some people at work were talking about them. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see photos of those delicate little birds. My Mama's trying to attract them here, but so far not much luck! Thanks for dropping by. Love sharing my shots, and looking at those others take as well. Please come back to see me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trick is to remember to keep replacing the food, which is something I've yet to manage.
    Also, have you ever noticed the amazing similarities between hummingbirds and children?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.