; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Recipe Tuesday - Raspberry Coconut Tarts

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Recipe Tuesday - Raspberry Coconut Tarts

I am very pleased with this week's recipe. Not only is it quick and easy to make, it's delicious too.



What you will need:

3/4 cup of Fresh Raspberries
3 TBS Coconut if using large flakes 4 or 5 of if using fine flakes
2 TBS margarine at room temperature
2 TBS white sugar
1 Egg white

10 Pre Made Tart Shells.

Pre made tart shells have got to be the best thing going. You can usually buy these in bulk at your local grocer, don't waste your money on those small packs in the freezer section. Any grocer with a decent bakery in store will have these tart shells in bulk. They come in a pack of around 30 or so and either sweetened or unsweetened. I prefer sweetened.

To make:

Take tart shells out and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. I don't like doughy crust so I usually like to pre-bake my shells for at least about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.



In a bowl mix your coconut, margarine and egg white. Whisking is sufficient until well blended. It looks yucky but trust me, it all works out.







Place your berries, whole, in the tart shells.
Doesn't it look pretty already?






Then spoon a teaspoon at a time of the egg white mixture over the berries in the shells. I basically use a teaspoon dollop on every tart and then go back
and add more if there is any left over. Spread the mixture over the berries so it covers most of it.



Bake in the oven (at 350) for 10 minutes. You will know it's done because the coconut will start to brown slightly.



et Voila. Let cool and serve. You can add whip cream or a scoop of ice cream to this dessert but my husband assures me that it's not needed.

And remember the kids not liking the coconut thing.. well 2 out of 3 kids ate it without batting an eyelash. The third, picked the coconut off and then ate it. They are that yummy.

No fresh berries? Use jam instead. A teaspoon of jam in each tart shell and then cover with egg white mix, bake for 10 minutes. It's delicious. Can work for any berries.

So there you have it. Bon Appetit!


MckLinky Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog! I saw you at Mom Central. I would love it if you would check mine out as well!
    http://raisingmy4sons.com
    (from one stay at home mom to another...great blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a quick and easy dessert, and I bet it is fabulous! Berries of all sorts are literally dripping from the bushes out here (well, not mine... you know. The BIRDS!!!) and I am definitely going to try this out. I don't have any premade tart shells but I'm just going to use a pre-made pie shell and cut it to fit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well there you go a little ingenuity well take a long way... course we're talking about the macguvyer lady here. *L*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.