; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Where’s Summer?

Monday, July 18, 2011

Where’s Summer?

So my summer plans got derailed a little what with my grandma’s passing and with the complete change in the weather.  We’ve had nothing but rain for the past week and a half. 

I enrolled the kids in the summer reading club, took them to two reading times at the library but as of yet we haven’t filled out a week yet on the reading cards so we can enter into a contest.  Yes, we read tons to the kids but E has been less than eager to practice reading on her own and the one time she practiced sounding out to write something, it ended up in tears.  Hers, not mine.  I was the epitome of patience with her for a change so I just don’t get it. 

I’ve been reluctant to push the reading thing since then because I don’t want to make her more frustrated.  Plus, the good intentions I had with trying to cultivate more patience seems to have left.  I was doing really well, not perfect but oh so much better than I was before, and then grandma died.  Like I said, it’s effect shows in different ways.

Plus hubby and I decided to try the low glycemic diet.  Not only do we both need to lose weight, I’d love to get my diabetes in good enough shape so I can stop medication. 

A)I hate taking pills and constantly forget and

B) if I don’t take these the right way (after I eat) I feel like I have the flu not to mention Norwalk.  I’m talking afraid to leave the house in case I have to get to the bathroom.

I bought this recipe book called “Low Glycemic Meals in Minutes”. It gives tips and advice on how to “quick prep” your food so that you can have meals in minutes.  It’s a shop twice a week and prep twice a week sort of program. 

It’s actually a really great way of doing it.  I don’t have excuses anymore to not eat vegetables when I have a bin full of chopped veggies for me to snack on.  Plus they are ready to go for any recipe from salads to salsas.  The kids love it. In fact we’ve spent more money than usual this week because the kids and us have been going crazy noshing on the veggies.

The only hard part is that we are in “phase 1” of this diet which means no carbs or sugar so we can break the carb cravings.  It’s amazing to see how carb crazy we’ve become.  It’s actually difficult to figure out what we’re going to eat, the concept of just meat and vegetables seems so foreign.

But the results are definitely worth the initial struggle because I’ve lost eight pounds this week.  Of course, I can’t expect to continue to lose almost a pound a day but still having quick weight loss at the beginning does help to keep me motivated.  I’ve now lost 24 pounds since I found out I had diabetes last December. I lost some weight when I first went on the medication but then stalled for awhile.  My pants are getting looser already and I’ve actually tried on a few outfits that I had been hanging on to for awhile and they just about fit.  They all do up but are still a little tight.  So I know it will only be a few pounds more and then I can wear them again.  Yeah!

How’s your summer going?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother. I hope you'll find peace and comfort in remembering the good times you shared with her.

    Congratulations on your weight loss!! It's so tough in the beginning but seeing immediate results is very motivating!

    Our summer is going by fast...and I've had the same problems with getting Cole and Bella to practice their reading. We joined our library's summer reading program in the beginning of summer and they were so excited but somehow they've lost interest and I don't want to push them too hard out of fear that they'll begin to hate reading. I have such a passion for books and I'm hoping at some point, they'll become more passionate about reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.