; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: A Surprise Diagnosis

Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Surprise Diagnosis

I say it's a surprise but I think in the back of my mind there was always this little niggling feeling telling me.  Still, considering my health (other than my blood pressure since baby #3) has always been relatively normal, I really didn't think it would pan out to be actually anything.  After all, any other complaints I have had over the years has always been dismissed as "nothing to worry about".

But after the high readings on one blood test had my doctor sending me for further blood tests only to find that after the first initial blood withdrawal, that my readings were so high it wasn't considered "safe" to proceed.  I went in preparing to stay for three hours only to come out after 20 minutes. 

So it's now official.. I have Diabetes.

It really shouldn't come as a surprise since my Oma had diabetes, my other grandmother has it and now my dad also has it.  In fact, my 41 year older brother went in to be tested for the exact same thing and oddly enough we both ended up doing our GTT's on the very same day (in different cities mind you).  How bizarre.  He, however, stayed for the whole test.  So he may still slip through. 

The good news is that all these headaches I have been suffering from could be a result of my diabetes since my doctor thinks it might have been a problem for a while now.  Of course, with the move and all that I have been less than diligent in getting to see the doctor and only went this last time because my husband actually made the appointment for me.  I hate getting to know new doctors, especially when it comes to "the test".  I haven't had "the test" done in let's see.... 3 no, no it's been over 4 years.  Yeah.  That's bad.

The other good news is that this will force me into adjusting my lifestyle, eating healthier and exercising more.  I am hoping that once I am on medication and on a plan, I will get less headaches and therefore feel more like exercising and playing with my kids.  I felt like I was always trying to eat my way out of a headache, apparently something else common with diabetics. 

What's really hit home for me in all this and maybe will help someone reading this.. is that I had Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant with my first child.  While I was never officially diagnosed with it again, I believe, now, that I was at the very least borderline with my second two children because I ended up with big babies.   (10lb and 12lb).   What they tell you though, which you never really take to heart, is that once you have GD you have an increased risk of like 75% of developing diabetes within 8 to 10 years. 

Scary thing... my oldest is 7 years old.  So if you've ever had GD, I would highly recommend you assess your diet and lifestyle.  Make sure you are eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise.  It may not completely prevent you from developing Diabetes later on but it could significantly reduce your risk.  I don't consider myself to be a particularly bad eater but I do have a sweet tooth and I definitely don't get as much exercise as I should. 

We haven't really told anyone else yet, just my mother and a close friend.  My friend, bless her heart, offered to attend the classes with me.  She told me that they (as in her and her husband) will be doing it with me too. Talk about support. 

It just couldn't have come at a worse time of year what with the gorging season being around the corner.  We just bought appies to store in our freezer in preparation for late night Christmas snacking. I was just about to start my Christmas baking.  What will I bake now?  I can see I am going to be doing a lot of adjusting over the next several weeks so I hope you all can bear with me.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you found out now - diabetes is completely manageable, when managed. Happy you are going to be able to do that, and I hope that your headaches go away very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how prepared you are, a diagnosis like this always comes as a surprise. It's great that you found out now though - I hope that your headaches do go away! Diabetes is tough, but manageable, and I know you are a strong woman - so it'll be easy peasy for you (most days).

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. So sorry! I myself an "on the verge". This is a good reminder. Found you through SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...getting that kind of news sucks ( I can only imagine). BUT hopefully it will help you to start feeling better. And one headache sufferer to another- they suck!! I wish you well...I'm so sorry about the diagnosis...that truly sucks!!!

    http://survivingandthrivinginmom-dom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fiance has Diabetes Type 1 and had it long before we met. It's completely changed the way I look at food, exercise and just everything in general.

    Every since I've been helping him try to eat better and take better care of himself, I've learned a lot. And a lot of things that people may think are "off limits" are definitely not if watched carefully.

    Best of luck to you!

    Ashley
    http://www.afterninetofive.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.