; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Bookkeeping Hell!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bookkeeping Hell!

Okay whose big idea was it for me to do our company books?  Mine?  Uh no, I don't think so.  It was my nip cheese, paring husband who decided that it would be a good idea for me to do it.  Don't know what nip cheese, paring means?  It means cheap. (Love you dearly honey) Guess who's been rereading a Christmas Carol?  *L*

Anyways, my bookkeeping hell started last week.  I had to get the payroll remittances done so hubby could pay it at the bank.  I've been storing my data on a USB key.  Did I know that USB keys are volatile?  No.  Did I know that I shouldn't run my accounting files from the USB key because it's not fast enough?  No. 

What I also did not know is that if I take my data from my computer (because I had no paper to print) and take it to my husband's office to print off on his computer that SA would have a freakin meltdown.  You see  I rarely use his computer for bookkeeping so his software version wasn't recently updated, it told me it couldn't read my data until I updated the software WHICH I did.  HOWEVER, that little attempt at data access?  Destroyed my data and I MEAN DESTROYED. 

So what's a gal to do?  Rely on her back up?  Oh oh.  My most current back up is dated August 31st.  Shazbutt!   And would you believe the procrastinator of all things, had the audacity to comment repeatedly on how he could not believe how stupid it was that I didn't have a proper back up.  Yup.  He did.  He's lucky his head is still on his shoulders.

I completely blame Simply Accounting.  I have been using my  USB key this way since March.  There is no way it should have corrupted my files.  What is so important about accounting software that it has to continually update anyways?  I mean really.  Other than the once a year tax update, I don't NEED updates.  The old version worked just fine without updates.  Oh and forget about getting someone to fix your data.  I found one software fix that costs $99.00 but there's no guarantee and one guy who will fix it for $275.00 plus taxes.  Obviously, my husband didn't volunteer to pony up the dough. 

To top it off, the back up I had?  Was only so I could clear my tax entries.  It didn't have the entire month of August saved.  F.U.D.G.E.   So here I am slaving away trying to work my way through three months worth of documents and trying to get each month to balance out the way I originally had it.  My kids had to eat their dinner at the kitchen counter and tomorrow is a pro-d day. I only have until Sunday to clear this mess up so hubs can pay taxes on Monday. 

If it doesn't show tomorrow... I'm shipping the kids off to Nana!

3 comments:

  1. i just hope that you wont need to send away the kiddos to nana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, no, sounds stressful! I hope it can get worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I was just stressed out for you after reading this!! Why do our husbands always think that making snide remarks is a totally cool thing to do, especially when we're in the midst of a stressful situation? Doesn't he know you have the power to completely cancel all sexual activity for him for the next 6 months?? He better watch his step!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.