; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Why am I always the last to be fed?

Monday, April 6, 2009

Why am I always the last to be fed?

Cause that's just what mom's do.  They meet the needs of their family first.  Am I the only one to get somewhat annoyed that this is always the case?   

Here I am at 10:30 a.m.  I've gotten three kids dressed and fed, scrambled around like a ninny looking for O's shoes, phone hubby to see if he put them in some bizarre place like we've all known husbands to do at one time or the other, only to find them outside around the side of the house.  Hubby was like "well I know he came inside last night and I praised him for taking his shoes off. I just don't know where he took them off"  Turns out O decided to take his shoes off at the other side of the house.  This left me with 5 minutes to get E to school.  Cause you know O's feet grow so fast we only have like one pair of shoes for him at a time.   E gets dropped off at school then it's the grocery store for us.   Bada bing bada boom, we're home and I have yet to eat. 

Course then there's the unloading of the kids, ensuring they are in a safe place while I unload my groceries only to be greeted the minute I'm inside the door with "I want a snack."  Yeah that's nice honey, mommy would like one too.  But I can't, I have to put the groceries away first.  Then my little ol mommy heart feels bad and I fix them a snack first... course I'm also hoping to stall them for extra time to eat by keeping them occupied.  Thank god for DVDs!

My goal over the last few months is to try and instill in my children some sense that mommy gets a turn too.  Yeah, I know you mommies of older children are laughing your heads off right now.  Yet I can dream, can't I?   I find myself whining back at them that it's "my turn, you've eaten, it's mommy's time to sit down and eat."  I regress to 2 year old status cause I want my toast and tea and five minutes.. okay who's kidding I'd like 30 minutes at least to read, blog or what have you while I eat/drink it.  That when I sit down, the demands end.  That having breakfast/lunch means that you eat at the table until you're full then you go play.  You do not promptly go sit on the couch and ask for a snack/drink while mommy's trying to clean up the after meal carnage.  That having eaten all your own food off your own plate does not mean suddenly that you need to have a "bite" off of mine.  The food's the same, just on a different plate.  Get it?

They are starting to learn that when mommy sits down to eat.. that's it.  They have to wait until I'm done before they get anything else.  Cause after all, we need to teach our kids some boundaries.  They can't expect us to be jumping jacks all day long.  Well they expect it, they are just not gonna get it (most of the time).  Of course, that means putting up with the countless "are you done eating yet?" and I find myself dragging out my last bites and morsels so  I can stay seated for just a few moments longer.  

So while you might as well call my breakfast now brunch you can bet I'm not going to settle for regular peanut butter toast but am going to go all out with a toasted tuna, avocado, tomato and turkey bacon sandwich, cause after all it's my turn now

11 comments:

  1. You go, girl! You take your turn and you enjoy it. I love my kids dearly, but they can suck the life right out of you if you don't push back sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both! Ugh, so frustrating! And I am obsessed with food, so you can imagine how stressful this issue is! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *LOL* you could say I'm obsessed with food too. Just wait until monkey gets big enough to want your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!

    It's sad, but I've gotten to the point that I don't mind being the last one to eat. I'd rather enjoy eating alone and ignoring everything said to me until my plate is clear. And let me tell you...I TAKE MY TIME. (It's pretty much all the time I get.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, you are not the only one!! I get so annoyed that by the time I have dished out, cut up, blown on food for 2 kids then comes my turn. Only to have my son ask for seconds as I take my first bite. Arhggg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you there CK. I actually like to eat alone too. I have to struggle with that when hubby's home, cause then we try to eat simultaneously. Except for dinner, of course, we always sit down as a full family with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Saturdays, Hubby gets up with the kids. Somehow, he always manages to eat either with them or even before them. I don't know how he does it! But it ticks me off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how much I hate any interruptions between meals. And there hasn't been one meal after becoming a mom, that has not been interrupted atleast 5 times.
    Also, my kid wants to eat from my plate, and drink from my glass, even if I give her the same food in identical plate and glass. Irritates the hell out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat after the kids for breakfast and lunch, and since I'm a bitch if I don't eat, I always manage breakfast. Lunch sometimes is forgotten when I start blogging. This reminds me of the movie "The Christmas Story" when the narrorator says with glee how his mother hasn't eaten a warm dinner since he was born. That always pissed me off, and I never wanted to be that type of mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and what's with the can't blow on their own food thing.. like my breath is so much better than theirs? Wait a minute, maybe it is. I do, after all, brush my own teeth without whining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish that you could come and instill this in my children. I serve all of them, get drinks and so on then I finally sit down and they are looking for seconds. I make them wait but come on. How annoying! My husband is no better. I guess his mother was not as good about teaching him as you are!

    Becca

    Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.