; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Homemade Playdough & Free Fun

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Homemade Playdough & Free Fun

Times are tough with everyone and with the recession looming over us, our families today have to cut back.  Lately it's been pressing on me that I need to do something to help make our dollars stretch farther.  

Besides earn more money, which is really not a possibility, the only other solution is to cut costs. So to that end I've been contemplating things I can make at home.  So far I have come up with play dough.  In the past I've figured it was easier to just simply buy the pre-made stuff but figured maybe now is the time to jump in with both feet and make it myself.  I found a recipe for play dough here.  I will let you know how it goes when I've made it. 

I also found a article giving tips on how to have fun for free with your kids here.  It's silly really because most of the ideas are pretty simple but sometimes you just need someone else to point out the obvious.  For example, it had not occurred to me to do a treasure hunt with my kids. We've played hide the stuffies with E in the past, which was a big hit, but have never done it with all three of them.  

I've also been thinking about making my own granola bars and fruit strips (a friend gave me a food dehydrator) but haven't gotten too far with it.  I have come across some recipes online but have to look them up again.  

I found the above articles on a new website that's just getting started called modern family.  It looks to be interesting. I am looking forward to seeing more articles and tips from them. 

In the Mommy Trenches

6 comments:

  1. I know I've been looking at every corner to cut something out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A treasure hunt sounds like a great idea. I never think of stuff like that. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! If you find a good recipe for granola bars, let me know. I used to grow up with them, and my mom lost the recipe. I guess it's time for all of us to tighten our belts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do. It's supposed to be so simple. Did you know that carob chocolate apparently is sweeter than regular and supposedly it's better for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some great resources!! Thanks for sharing. I alwyas love it when I'm pointed directly to something good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. me too.. course it makes it harder to "tear" myself away from the computer when there is just so much good stuff online but it does help day to day. What did our mothers do before? Oh yeah.. talk to their neighbours *L*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.