; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Recipe Tuesday - Salmon Steaks in a Cilantro lime marinade

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Recipe Tuesday - Salmon Steaks in a Cilantro lime marinade


I love cilantro. I don't know what it is about this herb but I just love the smell of it. Whenever I bite into something with that smell it just makes my senses soar. So I'm always looking for ways to use it in my dishes. This dish was a hit with my family. My kids like salmon but don't like too much fuss with it so this was just right.

You will need:

* bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped
* 1 tsp butter or oil
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* juice from one lime or 3 TBS lime juice
* 1 1/2 cups of honey
* salt & pepper


In a small sauce pan melt butter or oil and saute garlic for 30 slightly. Note the amount of butter or should be just enough to saute the garlic in. Add the honey, lime juice and mix together. Continue stirring on low heat until honey becomes runny, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat allow to cool for a minute or so, pout into shallow bowl or pan (big enough to fit steaks in)

Take your salmon steaks, salt and pepper them and place them into the marinade and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Now you can either grill or bake:

Grilling: lightly oil grill plate so fish doesn't stick. Grill on high heat approx minutes each side or until fish flakes easily with fork.

Baking: Bake at 350 degrees in a foil lined pan for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with fork. I like to make a foil pouch covering the salmon steaks so they don't get too dried out on top. Be careful you don't overcook or it tastes like rubber.


What makes this such a great recipe is that prep time was like 10 - 15 minutes (including marinade time). If you get your fish marinading them you can prep the rest of the meal and have everything cooking at the same time.

Some extra Tips:

Here in Canada, we are able to buy Salmon steaks in the freezer section of our grocery store. Highliner is one common name brand but I've found the Gold Seal Wild Sockeye Salmon Fillets to be the best tasting. Now I'm talking about plain salmon steaks not the kind that you get with sauces or pre-seasoned and the like etc. It's reasonably priced and it comes with 4 steaks. Having a pack or two of this in your freezer is very handy.

Now you don't have to thaw these ahead of time according to the package. You could throw these in the oven straight from the freezer with a little salt and pepper but it does help to have them slightly thawed for the marinade to actually work.

To make the meal even quicker,I used canned potatoes. Now normally I don't like things out of can but these potatoes are precooked, all you have to do is put them in a pan with a little butter and pop them in the oven with the salmon and voila, 2 dishes done in a flash. Just add your favourite vegetable and you are all set.





Max prep time/cook time: 25 minutes.






In The Mommy Trenches

5 comments:

  1. these look yummy. I love cilantro too. I don't make fish often. But I will try this out because it looks easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore cilatro and I just picked up some slamon at Costco today! Guess what we're going to be having ?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great. let me know how it turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. It looks yummy. I want to try that. Maybe it'll get me over my fear of cooking fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I have never cooked salmon. Come to think about it, I have never eaten salmon! But it just looks delicious, and I think my fiance, Erik, would love it. I am not the best cook, but I absolutely LOVE bloggers who share their recipes. And for an amateur cooker, like myself, the pics are PRICELESS! Thanks a bunch!

    I love your blog. I am just so excited that you paid mine a visit! I love making new friends. You have some wonderful stuff here, and I know I will want to keep coming back. I am proud to be one of your newest followers!

    Hoping to hear from you soon, Zeemaid!

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.