; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: It's Happening too Fast!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's Happening too Fast!


My just turned 6 year old daughter is scheduled for surgery next Monday to have her tonsils and adenoids removed.  I knew it was coming, we've been on a wait list for over six months.  It's just when we finally got the call, I didn't expect it to be happening quite so quickly. 

I rashly agreed to the date thinking that, of course, we're available we've been waiting six months for this appointment.  Only afterwards I realized
  • she is going to miss the last week of school before Christmas vacation
  • which means she is going to miss singing in her Christmas concert
  • which means I now have to look after her when I'm supposed to be working with hubs
  • which means we can't schedule any vigorous activity for 1 - 2 weeks afterwards
  • which means going up the mountain and tobogganing is out.
You see where I am going with this?

Of course the benefits are going to be huge.  The circles under her eyes are going to disappear because she will finally be getting a good night's sleep, she is going to start gaining weight finally and just be all around so much healthier once it's done. 

However, I wouldn't be a mom if I wasn't just a teensy bit worried about my baby going under the knife.  Okay let's say a whole lotta worried.  I know, I know, it's just her tonsils (and adenoids).  I mean hasn't almost all adults my age had theirs removed?  Yet, I can't help think of how sometimes complications arise and of others who lost their children during so called "routine" surgery. 

Still if it wasn't for the fact that her overall health and development is going to be improved by this surgery we wouldn't bother.  Nowadays we're a whole lot more cautious before rushing to put ourselves through the dangers of surgery. It's funny how 30 years ago we didn't recall surgery as being dangerous.  At least I didn't, I was only ten and younger than that when I had my tonsils out and it seemed like they recommended the surgery at the drop of a hat.

Whereas now our family doctor is reluctant to send our oldest daughter for an x-ray at 8 years old because while yes it does appear she's missing a bone in her spine, if it isn't bothering her why expose her to radiation needlessly just to see.

Have you had to face surgery with your child?  How did you cope?

1 comment:

  1. Nope. i would likely not do well. CJ had to have an MRI or some kind of scan because the doctor heard clicking in his hips. It was all I could do to not fall apart in the waiting room and thankfully it was all ok after they checked him out. I'll be praying for a swift recovery for her and calm and productive days for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.