; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: A Trip to the Doctor

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Trip to the Doctor

I had hoped this morning that we would be well on the far side of the whole fever and sickness thing.  Usually fevers don't last too terribly long.  However, while E has bounced back this morning after a wonderful night's rest not so for my little J.

She always does take sick just a little harder than the other two.  After all, it was she who seemed to waste away before my eyes two winters ago.  It was brought home to me just how much she had lost when the girls came out triumphantly,"Look mommy, J can fit her dress"  It was sized 9 months and it even was zipped up. She was 2 1/2.   Not height, mind you but width.  The plump baby I had made way for this over slender toddler.  Some mysterious illness plagued her and while she eventually got her energy back and started gaining weight slowly, the doctor was unsure as to what exactly had been wrong.  No wonder it has always stamped that little extra worry on my heart for this particular sparrow of mine.

So while it appears that her fever has lessened and she had approached the 8 hour mark without any real elevation it was with some concern that she came to me not long ago complaining about her sore neck.  It seems that it's sore all over and she still had a headache.  Off to Google I went for I was positive that a fever accompanied by a sore or stiff neck was not a good thing.  While the overabundance of information can alarm you if you are of a fanciful nature, I am sure many parents have been relieved by the fountain of information the internet provides.   My fears were confirmed, it is not a good thing and so I called my husband to discuss the matter with him.

If you knew me well, you'd know that I am not one to run to the doctor over every little thing.  More often than not the doctor, while he may confirm that you are sick, can do little because it seems 95% of the time the cause is viral and there's darn little to be done about it.  I can count on two hands the number of times my mom or husband has made me run off the doctor with one or three of the kids only to find out it was, as I had suspected, nothing to worry about.

So when I told him I thought we should take J to the doctor, I got a very surprised "OH" from him.

Thank goodness we finally got ourselves on a list for a new doctor in town here.  Otherwise, it would have hours long wait at the walk in clinic.  As it is we have an appointment for this afternoon.  So while, I try and cajole little J with whatever tempting treats I can convince her to eat and pour as much juice down her as I can, today is not the day to force the water is healthier mantra, and hope that it's all really nothing.

I am sure it is.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's nothing too, but it's always good to make sure! Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor J! You must have been so worried.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.