; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Our New Adventure in Homeschooling

Monday, September 12, 2016

Our New Adventure in Homeschooling



This year we have decided to home school our three children for grades 4, 6 and 8.  There are numerous reasons as to why we made the decision to home school but it really came down to the belief that we didn't think our children were thriving in the regular school system.

Many of you have read my posts about my daughter on the spectrum and how difficult that has been for her both socially and academically.  However, even my other two children who don't have any particular special needs weren't really thriving at school.   It is our hope and desire that we can help our children not only realize their potential but also to provide them a less stressful environment for learning.

Having said that, I can honestly say it's been a little difficult watching all our friends' children head back to school.  I still receive highlights from our old school's Facebook page and it's with a small pang that I watched the flag raising ceremony and see all the faces that I have been used to seeing over the past 4 years.

What I didn't miss was the frantic scrambling for shoes, backpacks and uniforms the last few weeks of summer.  Or the money spent.



I also don't miss making those dreaded school lunches that never get eaten.

I don't miss having to dig through backpacks looking for papers.

I don't miss signing the daily agenda and nagging my kid to pack it.

I don't miss the homework.

So here we are having finished the first week and I think it went well.  While we're still getting things figured out, I have to remind myself not to pressure myself overly much because even in the regular school system they don't have it all figured out right away.  It is a little overwhelming trying to put curriculum together for three separate grades but at the same time it is exciting because there are so many neat things that we can do together.

We were also blown away by the support that our DL program is giving us.  Not only are they providing full ASD funding for our daughter but they are going to pay to have her assessments updated and provide us with an EA and more.  We're very excited at the possibility of having so many of her needs met!  It's almost unbelievable that it's been so easy - we didn't even have to ask for much they just keep offering!

What do the kids enjoy most so far?   The freedom to get up and grab a snack or a drink and getting their work done equals free time.

When asked if they miss school all three say a definite "No".

What have I enjoyed the most?  Well, despite the fact that I am busier than I have ever been trying to juggle their school work and my own work along with the household daily tasks, I think my favourite part has been our daily bible study.  While we're doing just a simple daily family devotion at the moment, it has been nice connecting with the kids on a prayer level.  They each record the day's verse, make a list of prayer requests and then we each take turns praying.

Yes, there are definitely times where I feel overwhelmed with all that needs to be done and it really is a cruel twist of fate that back to school has coincided with my monthly cycle and a wicked bout of PMS but I know that in a few weeks we'll be into a new routine and everything will just flow.

Well, at least I'm hopeful it will be so!

Zeemaid


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.