; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: 4 Weeks of Homeschooling

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

4 Weeks of Homeschooling

I can't believe it's already been 4 weeks since we've started homeschooling.  What else can't I believe?  How easily the kids have taken to it. I'm not going to lie and say it's been all sunshine and roses or unicorns and rainbows but it's definitely been smoother than I would have thought.

The kids sleep in until 8:00 a.m. at which point I turn their lights on and tell them to start getting up and usually they do get up fairly quickly.  My oldest (she's 13) is still struggling with this but since we've instituted the "you'll be grounded from screen time" if I have to ask you more than once, is much more motivated in getting out of bed.  By 9:00 a.m. they've breakfasted and are ready to start. That's a far cry from the days where I was up before 7:00 a.m. and nagging them from 7:15 to 7:45 to get up and then rush around trying to get them ready to leave for school.



They don't seem to miss school at all.  They like that they can do their work and be done.  The classroom can be as quiet or as noisy as they like.  They like that we're not always rushing around.  My son particularly likes that he can get up and grab a snack and a drink of water whenever it's convenient to him.  My 13 year old loves to do school work on the couch.

The toughest part?  Me, my jobs.  JOBS plural.  Not only am I trying to plan curriculum for three kids, I'm also running an online business and a retail business, taking care of the finances and managing a home.  Add to the mix that while my husband has promised to help and does when he can, he often is away (conveniently during school hours) trying to make money for the family.

So it'd be honest to say I've had a few personal melt-downs these past couple of weeks. Not exactly something I can admit very publicly as most of our friends/acquaintances come from the school the children used to go to and the last thing I'd want is the naysayers to say "I told you so".  Because it's not all bad, it's just pushing through the stress of doing something new and finding new routines.

I thank God for good friends too.  One friend brought me flowers on my birthday completely out of the blue and it totally made my day.  It's moments like those that help the sunshine to poke through the clouds.

Do you home school?  I'd love to hear how your September went.

Zeemaid


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.