; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Secrets of an Organized Mom–Book Review

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Secrets of an Organized Mom–Book Review

SecretsofOrganized

Okay, so I’ve had a chance to dive in and read Barbara Reich’s new book “Secrets of an Organized Mom” and the first thing I want to say is “holy crap this is such a good book”.  Very articulate of me, I know.  Seriously my friends, if you are struggling with organization this is a must read for you. 

I was a little disappointed at first that this book has no pictures.  However, it quickly becomes evident why this is the case and why it makes complete sense not to include pictures.  As nice as it is to see photos of really organized spaces, it very rarely translates into something you’d be able to use in your own space or could afford to do.  This way you get the tips and ideas and still feel that it’s possible to achieve.

This book is a very easy read and so long as you read Chapter 1 “The Basics: some truly simple ground rules” the rest of the book can be read according to what area of your home you want to tackle first.   Full of tons of great ideas and some new perspectives that I had never thought of before.  Like labeling.  I have spent hours organizing my children’s toys into their own bins only for it all to end up mish mashed together again.  I’ve all but given up.  On reading Barbara Reich’s book, I realized that I couldn’t expect the children to remember my system of organizing their toys unless I labeled the bins.  I can’t wait to try again. 

I loved that while reading the chapter on the entryway and front closet space I could literally picture implementing her shelving and storage ideas.  The only real disagreement I had was with her policy that shoes are to go in the appropriate bedrooms. Eww. Dirty shoes in the bedroom?  But then we’re not very organized at the moment and I can just imagine trying to get out the door with the kids hunting for their shoes because I just know they won’t voluntarily put them into their closets unless I’m there.  Like all good habits, time would definitely be needed for training.

I am eager to put some of Barbara’s ideas into practice and plan to post some before and after pictures.  I would have had this done already but illness has swept through the house once again and landed firmly on me.  Oh joy.

In the meantime, you can check out Barbara’s website and Facebook Page for more tips and information on her services and book Secrets of an Organized Mom.  Or, if you haven’t already read it check out her guest post on In the Mommy Trenches.

Secrets of an Organized Mom is available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Simon & Schuster, Bam and Powells to name a few.  It’s even available in e-book format on I-tunes, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com and Simon & Schuster.

How about you?  What area of the home do you most need to “attack”?

Zeemaid

 

*disclosure, I received a copy of this book in order to conduct the review but was not compensated in any other way.  The thoughts and opinions expressed herein belong to me and are a true representation of my experiences herein. * 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.