; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: #Night Buddies–Book Review

Sunday, March 3, 2013

#Night Buddies–Book Review

 I love reading with my daughter and I am so glad that even though she is now reading at her grade level, she still wants me to read with her every night.  Of course, now that she is nine going on ten we’ve upgraded from picture books to chapter books. 

While I’ve been enjoying introducing her to classics such as The Secret Garden, Little House on the Prairie, My Side of the Mountain and most recently, The Hobbit, it’s nice to find a new set of stories that we both haven’t read to enjoy together. 

So I was happy to check out Night Buddies – a new chapter book series for children aged 7 and up.

nightbuddies

“Night Buddies revolves around the nighttime adventures of a young boy named John, who is not ready to go to sleep, and a bright red crocodile named Crosley who turns up under John’s bed. As the stories in each book open, this unlikely pair sneaks out of John’s house using Crosley’s I-ain’t-here doodad, which makes them invisible to John’s parents. They embark on their Program, the Night Buddies word for Adventure, and make their way around the Borough chasing down enemies and cleaning up the mishaps at hand.”

Written by:  Sands Hetherington and illustrated by Jessica Love

We are currently reading book two of the Night Buddies series “Night Buddies, Impostors, and One Far-Out Flying Machine” and I have to say my girl is hooked. It’s hard to stick to just one chapter a night and I find myself reading on so as to find out what happens next.  She even begs to be allowed to read it after I’m done for the night.  Of course the answer is no because I want don’t want to miss anything either! 

We do wish we had been able to start with the first book as I think the backstory to this book would be helpful in following along.  Still, we’ve pretty much gotten the gist of it and are excited to learn more about Iguanas and Mole Milk and why Crosley can’t get wet.

Tons of fun and don’t worry Mr. Hetherington is working on book three already. 

The list price for the book is $8,99 but is currently on sale at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles and Powell’s Books.  Be sure to check out  Night Buddies Adventures for more information on this series and direct links to purchase.

How about you?  Have you started a new series with your children?

Zeemaid

*disclosure – I received a copy of the book in this post in order to conduct my review and was in no other way compensated.*

1 comment:

  1. Aw. I love it. May have to try this. I've tried a few, one was the Kaiya American Doll books because that's my daughters name but she's too young still for those. Generally the most consistent book we do is a version of the kids bible (we have three) but I was thinking about Narnia or Potter in another year or so... This we may have to give a whirl too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.