; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: You Still Need Your Mom when You're 40

Sunday, February 5, 2012

You Still Need Your Mom when You're 40

One of the truths that you realize as you get older is that no matter what you always need your mom.  At least if you had a good relationship with her and even if you didn't, I think there's still a part of you that longs for your parents love, support and advice.  I just hope I remember that bit of comfort when my own children grow up and leave the nest.  That while not expressed, there's still that deep need of your parents.

So when we were dealing with the whole bad news from the psychologist, I naturally turned to my mom.  Like you'd expect she listened, she sympathized and helped me try to puzzle the whole thing out.  While there isn't a whole lot she can do it's nice being able to talk to someone about it.  Because it feels like a big burden on my heart right now. 

So it shouldn't have surprised but it did when I received a call from her mid week asking what our plans were for the weekend.  Turns out she wanted us to come up for the weekend.  Now my parents live about an hour's drive away so we generally make the drive once a week. Only this time she offered to put us up at a hotel so we could stay the weekend and have a bit of a break.  At first I'm thinking how's that a break.  It's us and the kids and a hotel.  But then I realized, no housework, no preparing meals etc for the whole weekend.  Add to that we'd be on their property which is a veritable playground of exploration for my children with their aunt, uncle, cousins and grandparents all to shoulder some of the burden of entertaining them. 

While a stay in a hotel with two kids (the third stayed at Nana's) is not my idea of a good time, the kids were excited to go and explore a different room, watch a movie and snuggle in bed.  In fact, I even  managed to get a stellar sleep because in trying to get the kids to settle down and sleep, I fell asleep at 9:00 pm.  Earliest bed time, I've had in ages.

So I guess moms really do know best even what their 40 year old daughters need.  I just hope I can be that insightful with my own kids.

Zeemaid

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to have such a great mom. Glad you got a break. And some sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.