; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Valentine Bust

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine Bust

You would think that since I pretty much spent the weekend cutting out dozens of hearts so that my girls can make adorable Valentines for there friends that I'd be more aware of the fact that today is Valentine's Day.

I have to confess that I have absolutely diddly squat for my husband.  Zip Nada Zilch Nothing.  In fact, if I hadn't reminded Hubs about picking something up for the kiddo's last week, I wouldn't even have had the cheesy little heart shaped boxes filled with kinder egg surprises  to give the kids.

It occurred to me at precisely 4:15 pm on  February 14th while I was driving two of the kids home after dropping off E at her extra learning classes that I hadn't even thought about getting something for my darling husband.  I briefly contemplated stopping somewhere on the way home to grab something only to dismiss the idea as I remembered that one child was sick with a racking cough and was wrapped up in her blankie and the other declined to wear a jacket and was equally snotty trying to get over a cold.

Add to that a trip to the emergency room on the weekend and the business year end to be struggled through where it seems that every opportunity I have to work on the bookkeeping immediately gets derailed by (a) a sick kid and/or (b) a school holiday and there you have it folks romance in a nutshell.  Nonexistent.

Our oldest child was knocked down at church on Sunday and managed to hit the floor so hard that she went a little loopy for a while.  We actually were concerned enough to take her to emergency and turns out she has a concussion.  What a scare.  While she seems fine now apart from the enormous bruise along her jawline, it can't help but concern us since this is the child that they are telling us may be brain damaged.  It may be silly for us to worry, we're not medical doctors so have no idea if our fears are rational or not.  We are supposed to keep her relatively quite for a few days and if I let myself stop to think... I can see myself getting absolutely paranoid that she's going to fall and hit her head again.

I keep thinking we were supposed to go away this weekend.  If we had, it never would have happened.

So it's no wonder that I'm all Valentined out this year.

3 comments:

  1. Whew! Doozy days ...

    But I like the new look of your blog. Pretty in pink!
    Hang in there, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I'm so sorry about your daughter's injury!! That must have been super scary! So glad she's okay.

    Our V-Day sucked too but I'm okay with that. Neither hubby or I am really into the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished telling another mommy-blogger. Husbands are easy Valentines. Get him or make him his favorite drink or favorite dinner or favorite dessert. And have sex with him. He really just wants sex.

    And I'm so sorry about the chaos. Kids. They keep things interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.