; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Show and Tell

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Show and Tell

A while back I think I might have mentioned that I have found a new passion.  Rather I think I might have moaned and groaned and whined about how money is keeping me from pursuing this new passion.  Which is still true but I’m learning to wait.  While the early lightning bolt has somewhat diminished, it’s still smoldering and I know that eventually I will get there.

I mean, course, pottery making. pottery

Imagine the reaction when I told my sister-in-law that I had thrown my first pot.  It was complete and utter shock.  I’m sure she actually thought I had thrown a pot.  What bizarre ritual was this?  It’s amazing how quickly I slipped into a new language, forgetting that less creative people weren’t apt to follow my meaning.

Lessons were made affordable because I was able to pay for one at a time.  That and the fact that my “teacher” was busy with her own life made scraping together the $20.00 fee every few weeks easier.  I still love it so much that I am planning on taking a course at our local college when I can afford it. 

In the meantime, I thought I’d share the fruits of my labour.  While not perfect I am immensely pleased with the results.

DSC03418

While my husband was trying to be supportive, I know that he felt that this was just something that would have to wait, that the time for this wasn’t now and probably not until the kids are bigger.  I have to admit I felt crushed like someone just stepped on my dreams.  I had always wanted to try pottery, I just never expected how deeply it would affect me.  I didn’t want to wait years to do it again, not when my fingers are itching to get back to it.

Still I kept my hurt inside and told myself, when he actually sees what I have done he will think differently.

I was right.  He’s absolutely amazed and even now considers it something of a priority to make sure there is space for a pottery area if we decide to move.  If we don’t move, we are going to figure out how to make it possible for me to have the space necessary. He even apologized for telling me that this wasn’t the time for it. 

Of course, he can’t make money where there is none and so I still have to wait.  We are going through a terrible financial time right now.  I say this not to whine but would appreciate any supportive prayers from believers if possible.  We are facing the loss of everything if things don’t turn around but still I’m trying to keep my joy in the Lord and not to be bound by my circumstances. 

In the meantime, since we don’t have room for a proper wheel, I am going to buy myself a kid’s wheel just so I can keep playing.

What’s your passion?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The pottery you made is beautiful! I love the green shade. It's so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! You are amazing! My passion is writing. I just never have the time to sit down and write beyond the blog. Hold on to this! You need and deserve this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.