; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Garbage

Friday, April 15, 2011

Garbage

Do your kids love garbage?  Mine do.  They pick up everything from straws, to candy wrappers to bottle caps to broken pens.  What's more, they want to bring it home.  You just never know what's lurking in their pockets or backpacks.  Of course, I ask them not to all the while trying not to sound like one of those germaphobe uptight people like my inlaws.  Which, of course, wars with the "let's help out and keep our school litter free" theme.  I teach my kids not to litter, I just don't see why mine have to pick everybody elses (and their germs) up. 

Still it almost came to a head today when I caught my oldest daughter trying to covertly hold a popcorn seed in her lap and buckle at the same time.  She picked the seed up in her dad's store.  Fine.  I get it.  I've saved seeds for her in the past, respecting her creativity and patiently fished them out of the bottom of the bowl for her.  I've smiled and nodded while they picked dandelions and carted nut shells and pinecones home.  I've even allowed them to bring the odd rock home. 

Do you know where all these "treasures" end up?  In some masterly creative art project? Nope.  They generally end up on the floor.  This item they just had to have gets dropped on the floor.  If not immediately upon entering the house then sometime shortly thereafter where it sits for days on end until I end up picking it up and throwing it out. 

The injustice of it all hit me this afternoon as I got after my daughter for picking up garbage at her dad's store.  I mean do they really have to bring more stuff home for me to pick up?  Do they really think that I don't have enough to do that I need MORE CRAP in the house?

Of course, they don't see it that way and think quietly to themselves "oh great, here she goes again". 

Rant, Rant, Rant. 

Somedays I'm like a 2 year old. Only I wish someone would give ME a timeout.

4 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! They throw it on the floor and then I yell. They pick it up and then throw is on the floor and I yell! What a terrible cycle! With 4 kids, it is a never ending cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::shudder::

    I admit it. I'm a TOTAL germaphobe and my poor 3 year old son gets made fun of at daycare because I make him wash his hands so much that he asks the teacher to at random.

    I'm sorry, I'd rather a clean and healthy kid than a nasty and sick one any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have treasure hunters. I suggest a box. And I also suggest Mommy Time Outs. Go ahead, storm off to your room, slam the door, and take a ten minute time out. You'll feel tons better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rocks. My children bring them home. And your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.