; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Saving Time

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saving Time

I really don't like laundry.  I don't mind throwing it in the washer, I don't even mind folding it because it gives me a chance to sit down for a 1/2 hour in front of the tv. but I really don't like putting it away.

So I thought I had struck gold when I figured out that my 7 year old was more than capable of carrying her clothes upstairs and putting them away.  After all we've been using the same clothes storage system since she was a babe (panties/socks in one draw, shirts in one, pants in the other).  She knows were everything goes so it should be easy peasy.  At least that's what I thought.

I don't always utlize her services because I find she wavers from day to day in her enthusiasm for helping out.  Just like me... what a surprise. ;)   Still, the odd day I'm just too busy so I put my foot down and perservere in asking her despite the frowns and exaggerated sighs of yesssss mom.  Sigh they grow up so fast. (Not to mention adopt their mother's mannerisms so darn quick).

To get to the point of this post, her dad was going through her room the other night.  Not only was he disgusted by the mess in her bedroom but also by the amount of stuff that appeared to be under her bed.  I knew there was a storm brewing so I headed upstairs to try and help avert major melt downs.  Only, I was the one that almost had a major melt down as my husband pulled pile after pile of clean folded laundry from under her bed.  ?!?!?!  

Her excuse was that she was in a hurry.  You know you're a kid when it makes so much more sense to throw your clothes under your bed than to take an extra 30 seconds to open a drawer and put the clothes in.  Because while I expect her to put the clothes in the proper place, I'm not so anal uptight that she has to keep everything meticulously folded (as much as I'd like her to).  After all, I don't want her to grow up with OCD. ;) 

I wondered what she planned to do when she ran out of underwear?  Who am I kidding she'd have just one commando.

6 comments:

  1. Now that is so funny! But at least she put them away (somewhere!)

    Laundry is the bane, the absolute bane, of my whole existence. I hate it. You put it away and it just keeps coming back atcha. Ugh. Thanks for the post, I'm off to go look under my daughter's bed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Ha! I have my four kids take care of putting away their own clothes ... and I've had to bite my tongue a time or two when I see what happens to my carefully folded pants and shirts. Strangely enough the 9 year old is worse than the 2 year old ... sigh ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you hadn't said, "she" I would have thought you were talking about my boys! LOL My littlest one is notorious for doing that:) BTW, I hate laundry. I hate folding laundry. I hate putting it away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh see I'm he same way. I HATE putting the Landry away! Thats why i've got the boys to start putting away there own and at the start they would put all the clothes into one drawer until it was stuffed and move to the next! So now i do inspections but I'm not the best example coz
    mine stay folded on the couch for months on end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well... I guess she saved the 30 seconds?

    Right now, my 2 year old is more than enthused to help put clothes away... I hope that never changes... ever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. Best laid plans . . . right? Kids. They're so smart that you want to strangle them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.