; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Lost Tooth

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lost Tooth

J, who is five, lost her first tooth on Saturday.  I am suprised by how excited she was at the prospect of losing her first tooth.  Ever since that tooth started to get wiggly, she'd been working it to death and discussing the upcoming visit from the Tooth Fairy.  It's hard to believe that one minute she was this wiggly toothless grinning baby and the next she's become this quiet five year old who cautiously contains her excitement until it just has to bubble over. 

How different this was from my oldest daughter.  Although she was aware of the tooth fairy, it was like one minute her tooth was loose and the next moment it was out.  No real waiting.  As J said earnestly, "oh mommy, I was hoping it would come out today and it did!".  Of course, with the loss of J's tooth, it brought a lot of reminiscing for E as I listened to her expound on what to expect from the tooth fairy.

It's a good thing she has such a good memory otherwise I'd have deviated from the routine and blown cover.  Of course, there is always the risk that we'd forget to play toothfairy like we've done before to E.  You an just imagine the backtracking and cover up we had to do on that one.  So it was at 11:00p.m. at night that I attempted to draw a fairy and a tooth on a card with a note and then scrounged through the cupboard for an appropriate gift.  Thank goodness we had a few stray toys kicking around (because according to E, you always get a present for your first tooth, not just money).  Despite the fact that we've known all week that the tooth could fall out at any moment, did we prepare for it?  HAH! 

Still, it's all worth it to hear their excitement in the morning as daddy's trying to blink the sleep out of his eyes so he can focus enough to read her the card from the tooth fairy.  It's even more precious to listen to them discuss the card and wonder who could possibly have drawn the picture because she "didn't know the tooth fairy could draw like that".  Fortunately, this fairy was smart enough to put the gel pens away before she went to bed. 

This little episode has further fostered their belief in fairies as after all they must be real since the tooth fairy exists.  Right mom?  Well, being more pragmatic than romantic it's hard for me to always agree but still it's sweet for them to have their dreams. 

And with J's upcoming dentist appointment looming over us, allI can think of is one less tooth to fix. ;p) 

My baby's growing up.

5 comments:

  1. Losing the first tooth is such a huge milestone, isn't it? Do you remember awhile back I had posted a video of Bella losing her first tooth? It just happened to fall out right as I was doing a random video of her. And I started to cry. Seriously, I cried on the video because I was so overwhelmed with emotion.

    Can you imagine what we'll be like when our daughters get their first periods? I shudder to think about it.

    Oh, and don't worry...our tooth fairy has forgotten on plenty of occasions to leave money. Once I even had to fake a "note" from the fairy saying her wings were in the shop but that she would stop by that night for sure.

    Geez, the things we do as parents to make our kids happy.

    Congratulations to J!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a right of passage…I was THRILLED when I lost my first tooth, and wanted a lot of money, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet ... My 7 year old went to bed last night and then 2 minutes later came out announcing that her tooth came out. I didn't know that she even had one loose! :) She's still so excited about her money in the morning ... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. I remember my daughter coming home from a friends house when she was about 7 and saying the Easter Bunny wasn't real but the Tooth Fairy was because she came last night for her friends tooth! It was such a convincing story the way she told it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made a card. That is awesome! It's nice to have them believe in magic . . . for a little while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.