; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: Recipe Tuesday - A tip

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Recipe Tuesday - A tip


Okay, no actual recipe today.  Not only haven't I cooked anything very exciting lately,I have no photos. 

So my tip of the day.... is regarding Marinade.   I have  a love hate relationship with marinade. I love the taste but I hate the fact that I usually forget to take the meat out, thaw it and have it in a marinade long enough to do anything.  Not to mention if I don't happen to have any bottled marinade then I have to make it up myself.  For whatever reason either I don't have all the right ingredients at the time or it is just lacking something.  

I can't remember who told me about this but you can use Italian salad dressing as a marinade. It works with either chicken or beef.  Just throw your meat of choice in a zip Lock bag, add enough dressing to cover and refrigerate.  I've had it marinade as long as overnight and as a little as one hour and it tastes amazing.  Not only that... it can be cheaper than regular marinade.  We just bought our bottle for $1.99 and only used about a 1/4 cup so far.  Course this is CDN dollars and it's been my impression that food is pretty cheap in the U.S. but lately here prices have been creeping up and up and now a bottle of teriyaki sauce or marinade etc can easily run to $4.00 a small bottle.  Ouch. 

Oops, I forgot to mention how delicious it is.  We marinade and then barbecue.  I am sure you could bake it and it would turn out fabulous as well.  The longer you marinade the better of course.  Our chicken breasts were marinaded overnight and they managed to stay moist and tender when cooked.  Very tasty. 

Anyways, that's my tip for today.   I'm getting the house ready for another showing.  The last one went well, they apparently liked the house but have their own homes (2 condos) to sell in the big city.  So they'll let us know.  So nothing yet. 

4 comments:

  1. Mmm. I love Italian dressing as a marinade! I started using it because it was cheap(er) to use.
    I'm an over zealous marinader... I love letting it sit for 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it.. "overzealous marinader". *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to get off my lazy butt and get a plan together so that I have enough time to marinate the meat.

    I swear I'm going to get with since the dressing idea makes it even easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now I'm gonna have to go out and get some dressing to try it as a marinade! Like, RIGHT NOW! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.