; window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-6252405-9'); In the Mommy Trenches: The Advantages of Owning a Video Store - Sherlock Holmes

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Advantages of Owning a Video Store - Sherlock Holmes


So one of the advantages of owning my own video store is that I get the DVD's the weekend before they are released.  So guess what I watched this weekend?  You got it!   Sherlock Holmes.

You may recall my complainer post  I am Purist about how they've changed Sherlock Holmes.  Well I've watched it and have to say that despite all the changes to Sherlock's character I really enjoyed it.

My biggest complaint?  I wish I had seen it in the theatres.  Those big action movies are just not the same at home.  My husband stops the movie continuously over a two hour period because he "hears" mysterious noises. This is how we get to watch movies.  Most of the time I'm glad for a pee break or tea break which leads in to a pee break... but when the movie has a lot of action/suspense it really breaks the moment for me.

So my poor husband had to listen to a few of my comments about how Sherlock was more dignified etc.  It was nice that they brought in a variety of names and characters that any one who has read the books will recognize.  Although they completely destroy poor Irene Adler's character, reputation wise.  However,  I will not spoil it by telling you too much.  All I will say that while I was skeptical at first about the tone of the story line, thinking it wasn't quite right for Sherlock Holmes, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  It was also nice too that they didn't just fall back on one of the stories from the books and redo those.  This was fresh. Lord Blackwood played his part very well.

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, Sherlock Holmes is being released on DVD this coming Tuesday.

Guess what we're watching tonight?  Alvin & The Chipmunks #2.  I can't wait for that one.  We've all been looking forward to it for some time.  That too is being released on DVD tomorrow.

This was not a paid or sponsored review in any way.  Completely out of my own little head and inclination to do so.

13 comments:

  1. I luuuuv watching movies but hardly get to now that I'm a mommy! Thanks for the info. I honestly wouldn't have given Sherlock Holmes a chance if it wasn't for your review. I just might watch it. I like the old ones. I was afraid this new one would be too cheesed-out and modernized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband hears noises? Get out of the city! That is so funny! I think in our house I am the noise hearer : ) We saw Alvin and the Chipmunks at the movies. They do a super job on All the Single Ladies : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work for a video store and we got to "rent" the movies before release. That was awesome.

    I haven't seen Sherlock although I want to. I'm glad you approve, that makes it more entrancing for me. I figured if anyone knew videos it would be you! I will definitely have to rent that one on Tuesday.

    I saw How To Train Your Dragon this weekend at the theater. OMG, you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *lol* i wouldn't say that I'm the go to girl. IF you want someone who can tell you the name of a movie within 3 seconds of the opening scene even if I may never have watched it, yup I'm your girl. But when it comes to watching movies that make me cry.. forget it. *L*

    I would love to see the Dragon training movie. I just love all things dragon! Even those cheesy old movies like Draghonheart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see this movie. We really wanted to catch this in theatres but it's tough to get out without baby. We have 3 AMC giftcards we havent' used in almost a year. We really need to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from SITS! I've been waiting for this to come out on DVD-I couldn't bring myself to pay movie theater price. I am also purist and fear I will not be able to get past the discrepencies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still dubious about Sherlock Holmes since I love the books too. I will try to watch it with an open mind though!

    Regarding the white type on black background...I admit to not being a fan. It's okay but your links are in dark red and very hard to see on the black. I recently read a blog design article and it said that if you use a lot of pictures a dark background is good but if you have a lot of type then a light background is best. It's easier on the eyes to read dark font on black. But it's your blog so do whatever you like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a cool benefit of owning a store.

    Stopping by via SITS to say hello.
    Have a great day!
    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see this movie, it sounds fabulous. Thank you for stopping by my blog today and for your lovely comments on my post.

    Happy SITS Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just happened by, and must say that the white print is a little hard to read. Content is always most important, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for letting me know about the background. I wasn't a big fan of it either. I just loved the black and pink header. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wanted to let you know I've given you a Beautiful Blogger Award and One Fine Blog Award! Love the black and pink by the way, :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books, but through watching it, I realized, that the rumor about how Dr. House's character was paralleled and inspired by Sherlock Holmes, I realized, that it really is! Are you watching House, MD? DId you notice the difference? I can count more than ten...

    Dropping by from SITS! I love your blog. And am now following. IT would be nice to have a cyberbuddy like you... Have a Blessed week by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.